King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) is an independent scientific organization administratively reporting to the Prime Minister. KACST is both the Saudi Arabian national science agency and its national laboratories. The science agency function involves science and technology policy making, data collection, funding of external research, and services such as the patent office. KACST has currently over 2500 employees. Based on is charter 31.I.2.1.985, KACST's main responsibilities can be summarized as follows:
- Propose a national policy for the development of science and technology and develop strategies and plans necessary to implement them.
- Coordinate with government agencies, scientific institutions and research centers in the Kingdom to enhance research and exchange information and expertise.
- Conduct applied research and provide advice to the government on science and technology matters.
- Support scientific research and technology development.
- Foster national innovation and technology transfer between research institutes and the industry.
- Foster international cooperation in science and technology.
- A sustained planning mechanism for all scientific disciplines.
- Scientifically knowledgeable and capable government agencies.
- A developed R&D infrastructure with fully functioning centers of excellence in all scientific disciplines.
- Strong interaction between the private sector and research centers.
- Regional leaders in patent ownership and issuance. Advanced incubator systems and output.
- World leaders in strategic technologies including water and oil and gas.
- Enhanced interaction networks between all scientific agencies.
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST),
||P. O. Box 6086 Riyadh 11442, Saudi Arabia
||+966 1 488 3555/ +966 1 4813274